Old 24-06-2005, 02:43 AM
Josh

"World Traveler" wrote
Retail prices -- you can get all the retail prices you need with a visit

a Home Depot, whether you decide to buy there or not. In my experience,
buying from another (local) source only makes sense if there is a cost
advantage. The JD retailer in this area does NOT make free home

deliveries
or pickups, even if you bought the machine from him. OTOH, my previous

home
had a good local JD dealer and I would buy from him if his prices were
competitive. It's not realistic to think that most local retailers will
give you special treatment if you have to have the equipment serviced a

few
years from now. I would also try to bargain over the price, even at Home
Depot. Any time I have a large order at Home Depot I bargain with them

over
the final price. There are several levers you can pull to get a 10%
discount at HD, and a local shop should have to stay competitive with the
BORG.

Regards --

I work for JD in a delivery aspect (delivering their product line). It is a
fact, the box stores do not sell the same quality as a JD dealer. In fact,
JD will not sell to the box stores the same items as they do to the dealers.

The dealer handles a better line. Box stores sell a walk behind with the
same model number, but the model is different than bought through a dealer
(drive gear especially noted). On the tractors, you will not be able to get
the same model as a dealer, shopping through a box store.

It would be a huge mistake to compare just on price. Buying just by price
would be a bigger mistake.

IMHO, it's a catch 22 for JD, a lot of people complain about JD quality,
when they have bought through a box store. JD is getting a black eye and
wondering why.