Old 27-10-2002, 08:16 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default Emergency Tree Help Needed

In article , Rod
writes

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
Hi

Our robinia tree in the back garden got blown over to about 30 degrees
off the floor, in the recent (very) high winds. It's about 20 feet high
and 6-7 ins diameter trunk. As it's not that old (probably 7 years or
so) we were able, once the winds died down, to stand it back up and
strap it very temporarily to a fence post. Obviously it can't stay like
that

I'm only going to tell you what Tumbleweed has already told you. Todays
storm will have presented several of us with planting opportunities (we've
got a couple of full grown Beeches and a few other things down - I was close
by when one of the Beeches fell this morning) That Robinia will never really
be safe and secure again so spend a tenner or less on a small new tree.
Small trees get chance to make decent roots before the plant gets too heavy
and more often than not they will catch up with heavy standards planted at
the same time. They will always be more secure than trees put in as large
plants.

Rod

Hi Rod

It's such a shame to lose it though - it was the only proper tree in our
garden and encouraged the birds to visit. How should be go about
cutting it down - should we get a professional tree surgeon in or is it
small enough to tackle on our own?

Lynda