Old 24-06-2005, 01:56 AM
Reel Mckoi

" George" wrote in message
news:EgIue.82332$x96.76690@attbi_s72...
As someone else mentioned earlier, how do you prevent such a devise from
either chopping up or damaging the plants sticking up out of the pond, or
else getting stuck on those plants? As ugly as it is, I think vinyl/nylon
netting is the cheapest, safest, and easiest way to deal with herons.

$$ The "fine" black netting isn't all that ugly. After while you don't even
see it anymore. An obvious ugly windmill-like rotating arm would be useless
against all the other fish predators out there. Herons are only one of fish
eaters pond owners have to deal with. Now that we're using hardware cloth
on the bottom 18" that keep the net above the pond water instead of wire
garden fence we wont have to keep checking for breaches near the ground. In
my area you either net your pond or it turns into a fishless pond full of
snapping turtles, bullfrogs, waterbirds and snakes.

It
also keeeps the fall leaves out of your pond. But that's my own opinion.
Tha end.

$$ YES! YES! No more standing there with the net fishing for leaves and
twigs. :-) I would do that every day throughout the fall before we netted
the ponds. We often wondered how the twigs got into the pond when the tree
didn't overhang the water. The wind probably....... we had that tree
removed.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.