Old 24-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Courageous" wrote in message

work for one person will not work for another. We have to redo 3 sides

of
my 2000 gallon pond this summer because they were made too steep! The

guy
said it would help keep predators out of the pond. YEAH RIGHT! He

didn't
mention that the pressure from the surrounding soil would eventually

allow
the sides to "fall in."

Huh. Your pond is a liner pond, yes?

$$ Yes. A Tetra 60 mil liner.

In this situation, these are choices:

1. Concrete the pond, over the liner, or:

$$ I think concrete BEHIND the liner may work better.

2. Create a masonry retaining wall for the pond
under the liner, to prevent the caving in.

$$ We've considered that.

With heavy blocks, ala Keystone, no mortar is necessary.

$$ The blocks would be costly for such a large pond. We're considering
making it bowl shape like it should have been done the first time. We have
to empty it, peel back the liner and start to remove some soil to "bowl"
shape it. The fish will stay in the 2000 gallon plastic pool we just
purchased last week.

He was, at least, right about a bit of predator prevention.

$$ It didn't do a damn thing to prevent the herons, Kingfishers, snakes,
bullfrogs and snappers from entering the pond pre-netting days. The herons
would stand on the rock necklace and wait for a fish to swim by.... bye bye
fish! The rest of the predators just jumped right in and started feasting.
They couldn't care less how steep the sides were.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.