Old 24-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Dick

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:33:33 GMT, "Tink"
wrote:

Help!
My 29Gallon tank has been up for about 5 weeks and I can't get it to cycle,
I have a emporer tetra and 4 frie. I am using Eco-compleat and seachem Alk.
and acid buffer for a dKH of 5.0 and Equilibrium for a dGH of 6.0. I had at
started with 5 Emporers and lost 2, and then added 4 more but they all
jumped out. My LFS gave me some TLC. to starte the cycle and I have been
using it as indicated at 2 Oz. every week this is my 3rd week and no change.
I started my tank with a bad bach of Eco-Compleat and had some cycking
but sence then no cycling.

Any ideas.

TIA,
Tink.

Hi Tink,

I get lost in "techno talk." The numbers mean nothing to me, but I
have gone through "cycling" of 5 tanks. Some went easier than others.
The hardest, taking the longest, was a 10 gallon tank meant to be the
"hospital" tank. It appeared milky all the time. I think it was
hardest because there was no gravel to hold the bacteria. However, it
finally came around and now stays clear.

Another 10 gallon tank was a killer. Plants wouldn't grow, fish died
early. It was just a heart ache. But, it to settled down after about
a year or more and now has lush plant growth and a stable fish
population.

I use no chemicals in the tanks and rely on 20% water changes twice
weekly. I don't even use charcoal, just filter media which I rinse
out when the water flow through gets too weak.

I have one 29 gallon tank which cycled within a couple of weeks and
has been the easiest to maintain.

I can't really suggest anything in the language of techno you seem
comfortable with. But patience does seem to help. Hard to be patient
when the fish die isn't it?

dick