Old 24-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Doug Kanter

Get to know a couple of the police supervisors - the ones who are the first
to get a major headache when something goes wrong with a "customer" (you &
your neighbors). Some of them can actually make things change. Ask two
things:

1) This doesn't need to be true: "Some of us were wondering what kind of
shotguns your cops carry. Are those appropriate for home protection, too, or
is there a different kind that would be better?" The sergeant will think "Oh
no....". Even if they believe in the right to bear arms, the last thing they
want is to scoop up a teenager with his aorta sticking out of his chest. You
may see more cop cars rolling through your neighborhood.

2) Ask if he/she can arrange for a cop or two to advise certain neighbors
whose outdoor lighting is stupid. We had a rash of burglaries here last
fall. The sergeant who teaches our school's DARE course happens to also be a
major chatterbox - she loves to talk to her employers (us). She was here one
night after a burglary. She commented that many of the outdoor lights
completely blind the cops, just as they blind pedestrians trying to enjoy
the stars at night. Asking your local whoever person about this may make
them realize that your neighborhood's getting motivated, and wants more
help.

3) Smile and say "Everybody loves a treasure hunt, right? Let's have one!
Let's see what happens if we catch the perpetrator before you do!" :-)

Just my opinion, but I think you need to keep the cops wondering about the
neighborhood's balance of sane, desperate, angry and helpless. They have
their own opinion of what the blend should be, but it's good to keep them
guessing.

By the way, many years ago, a cop mentioned something that would not stop
burglaries, but would drastically decrease the amount of things stolen: A
deadbolt on the basement door. Basement windows are a favorite way into a
house.

"Suzy O" wrote in message
You think we haven't tried? Duh. For cripes sakes, we've been here 10+
years, and organized and worked with the po-lice time and again. The
reality: if we were in the more fashionable neighborhood 3 or 4 blocks
away, we'd have cops crawling all over the place. But this mixed
neighborhood only sees property assessments increase by leaps & bounds.
Seems we're just not white or yuppie enough -- yet -- to be heard. BTW, I
love my neighbors, my home, and convenient location. I just wish we'd get
the same municipal services the rest of the city enjoys.

Suzy O

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Suzy O" wrote in message
No, meth labs, drug dealing, strolling prostitutes, and bums hitting the
streets when the liquor stores opens at 8::00 are a reality in many
areas
where people also LOVE their homes. So then what?

Sounds like time for the neighbors to organize and drive out the crime.