Old 28-10-2002, 08:27 AM
Sally Pointer

Default Seeds for kids?

I, like Rodger, am uncertain of how the project is intended to proceed
after the workshop......Will the kids come back in with their plant at
regular intervals ??

If its a more 'instant' project, why not use mustard and cress or
different forms beansprouts ? They come up quickly in just water and
can be eaten quickly. 6 to 8 year olds might lose interest on waiting
for a tomato to appear :~))

http://www.sproutpeople.com/ has info.

jenny

The idea is to give them a half hour workshop on how plants develop, during
which time they'll plant some seeds in a small pot with instructions to take
home on how to look after the seeds. I wanted to give them a mystery seed so
that they could write down observations in a booklet as to when it gets
leaves, what shape they are etc and slowly they will be able to identify
their plant from clues in the booklet as it develops. They are always able
to pop in to ask questions if they want, but most kids that we do sessions
with just enjoy learning something new and need little extra support
afterwards. Its just one session in a two month basic botany theme, but due
to the programme of other activities this one is stuck at the current date
so I just have to work with what I can.

I've planted indoor tomatoes myself in January and had good results with
them, herb seeds might be another possibility, something that will probably
spend its whole life in a pot on the windowsill. Mustard and cress is a last
ditch backup, I'm not sure that they won't all have done that at nursery or
primary school already at some stage, also, at the edible stage I think they
look too similar to be easily identifiable by young children.