Old 24-06-2005, 01:15 PM
~Roy~

Really Carol, it seems that every critter is always flocking to your
ponds, unconventional items work only for you but not others, things
that work for others never apply or work for you.....you have to go
into a diatribe listing critters in your area,and are waiting in line
just to jump in your pond........ most folks know what is out there,
and your suroundings are certainly no different that other places
are.....get a clue........netting is not an effective way to control
snakes........if what you say is the case, then wasting animals that
pose a threat like snakes your net and you kill, and that never ending
horde of snapping turtles waiting to take up residence as soon as the
former inhabitant is removed, is just like your propensity to waste
water.

...On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:53:42 -0500, "Reel Mckoi"
wrote:

===
==="Courageous" wrote in message
===news:n9qpb1l4d1pn04k7mma62i6a1cgpqik92o@4ax. com...
===
=== A snake can squeeze thro9ugh some darn small openings, and I find it
=== hard to belicve netting alone is going to restrict a snake fropm
=== getting in a typical pond.......contrary to what McKoi
=== says..........
===
=== I suspect you are correct.
===
===## Then Roy needs to tell that to the snakes where I live. :-) So far
===we've had to remove one live (had to kill it first) and several dead snakes
===from the net. They'd get their heads through but their bodies, being
===thicker, were snagged. They would then try to escape by going in a circle,
===or so it appeared.... and be so tangled they were impossible to remove
===(alive.) Maybe he used a net with larger spacing. We never lost another
===koi to snakes nor ever saw another snake in the ponds after netting them.
===With the number of water snakes were I live if the nets didn't work I
===wouldn't have one fish left.
===
===I used to catch and keep snakes. My first
=== attempts involved making a simple box, getting some screen, and stapling
=== the screen to the inside of the box hole. The snakes always escaped,
=== until I learned to completely pin all edges of the screen with a wood
=== perimeter on both sides.
===
=== C//

"The original frugal ponder"