Old 24-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Timothy

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 01:43:18 +0000, Josh wrote:

I work for JD in a delivery aspect (delivering their product line). It is
a fact, the box stores do not sell the same quality as a JD dealer. In
fact, JD will not sell to the box stores the same items as they do to the
dealers.

The dealer handles a better line. Box stores sell a walk behind with the
same model number, but the model is different than bought through a dealer
(drive gear especially noted). On the tractors, you will not be able to
get the same model as a dealer, shopping through a box store.

It would be a huge mistake to compare just on price. Buying just by price
would be a bigger mistake.

IMHO, it's a catch 22 for JD, a lot of people complain about JD quality,
when they have bought through a box store. JD is getting a black eye and
wondering why.

I was looking to replace my 21" this spring, so I went to the JD dealer. I
was looking for a commercial 21 and the JD salesman didn't want to sell me
one. He said that the commercial 21's had such a high warrenty return
that they were thinking about stop carrying them all together. They had 2
of them sitting on the show room floor, so I demo'ed one for the day. What
a heavy, gut-less pig it was.

What I also saw while at the JD dealer was all of these's Home Depo
warrenty return tractors in the repair shop. At first I thought that they
were for sale but then I noticed all the repair tags hanging on them. From
what I understand, JD is aiming for the bottom of the market and claiming
to be a "high end" consumer product. This is the same for cub cadet,
lawnboy and even toro (lawnboy is owned by toro now..) .

At this point, anyone who asks me about quality mowing equipment I suggest
that they look into bottom line commercial equipment. For 2000 to 25000
dollars, the op could get a nice exmark or even a toro. This will not look
or feel like your standard lawn tractor, but it will last your lifetime
unlike a Home Depo JD or a Lowes Cub Cadet. It's really all about what you
need. If a lawn tractor type is needed for your property, then look at
honda and toro (imho).

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://ywgc.com/resources.html