Old 28-10-2002, 09:11 AM
BAC

Default Muntjack Deer

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
BAC wrote:

I would think the only 'conservation' reason for opposing reintroduction

of
lynx would be if the proposal didn't meet the conventional criteria for
reintroductions (which I can't quote in full from memory, and can't be
bothered to look up, but which include, IIRC, introduction into a

suitable
habitat, with a good chance of survival, and not endangering other

species).

As the main point of introducing them would be to endanger other
species, that would rather rule them out!

If the main point were to be the elimination of an entire native species
such as Roe deer, it would rule them out. If it were thought that
reintroduction might endanger other native species, e.g. capercaillie, that
might rule them out, too. I'm not sure that reducing the numbers of a
population (but not endangering the survival of the species) would rule them
out, though.

Personally, I would imagine the most vociferous opposition would come

from
people who simply wouldn't like the idea of large predators of any kind
roaming the countryside.

Large predators? Lynx? The mind boggles.

Large in comparison with what we have now, yes.

I am pretty certain that the RSPB opposed even an experiment with
them, claiming the risk to ground nesting birds. Well, that is
a genuine risk. But the current threat is the elimination of
most of woodland plant habitats, much of the hedgerow and similar
habitat, and a DRASTIC change in the composition of the woods (even
if they survive, which is unclear). But that was ignored.

The RSPB supports and engages in other deer population control measures,
though.

You are right where the most vociferous opposition comes from, but
I don't think that it is the most influential.

You may be right - I don't know.