Old 24-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Rob

Newbie orchid grower seeking help

Since i have access to tissue culture facilities and all necessary
culturing medium (M&S etc), I thought I would dabble in orchid growing
from seed and decided to fertilize a dendrobium. 3 days after
fertilizing all the flowers, 90% of them wilted and the stigmata
started swelling. It's been 2 weeks or so since I did this and was
wondering whether the plant should be treated in any special way in
order to produce viable seeds. any necessary changes in light cycle,
fertilization? temperature etc etc?

Any help would be smashing thanks!

Nigel

No, just treat the plant like you were doing before. If you were
growing it well enough to get flowers, it is probably capable of
bringing a capsule to term. I wouldn't fertilize all the flowers
though. Most plants would prefer to hold one capsule, or perhaps two if
you are feeling bold. You might want to remove some. You can kill a
plant this way, if you try. A lot of serious breeders won't even
attempt to put a capsule on a first bloom seedling, for example.

That said, playing with seed germination is a great idea. But, random
'pretty on pretty' hybridization isn't, really. It is good for
practice. But if you want to sell (or give away) the progeny, make sure
you are starting with good parents and have a plan. Keep good records
(what did you cross with what and when). Talk to some breeders, or get
a copy of the orchid registration lists (Wildcatt is a good place to
start), or preferrably both. Think two or three times before you make a
cross. Remember, it takes just as long to grow a plant with excellent
potential to blooming size as it takes some mutt. And just as much
bench space.

Everybody has to start somewhere, though. That is just my general
warning to anybody who starts breeding orchids. Practice makes perfect
(or better, anyway).

--
Rob's Rules:
http://littlefrogfarm.com