Old 28-10-2002, 02:21 PM
cormaic

Default High hedge for coastal garden

'Twas Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:04:08 +0000 (UTC), when "Robert Davies"
enriched all our lives with these worthy
thoughts:

How about a bamboo screen? I've planted several bamboos in my gargen
to hide an ugly new house that's gone up - their advantage is that
they rapidly reach their mature height, and they're evergreen - as
well as well worth having in their own right.
Most bamboos wouldn't like such an exposed site as you describe, but
one - Pseudosasa japonica - is recommended as one of the best plants
of any sort for a windbreak in a coastal location (in one experiment
in cornwall it was recommended as one of the top ten plants for
forming a windbreak.) The main problem would be obtaining enough
plants cheaply enough if the hedge is a long one. . .

Cost (within reason) is not a problem. I like the idea of
bamboo; I'll put it to him at our next meeting. Cheers!

--
cormaic URG faqs/webring - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/
Culcheth Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT borlochshall.co.uk