Old 24-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Ron Clark

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:00:56 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote this (or the missive included this):

Ron Clark wrote:
:: On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:20:41 GMT, "Phil L"
:: wrote this (or the missive included
:: this):
::
::: While I'm here and on this subject, how is 'over watering'
::: achieved?....I have two lots of tomatoes, both planted directly
::: into the soil but in different greenhouses, those in the
::: polycarbonate GH are double the size of those in the glass one,
::: both were planted out within a week and have similar light
::: conditions and soil types, the glasshouse leaks in through the
::: roof and so the soil is permanently damp, the plastic one has
::: been bone dry for a good few years - I mean not a drop - the toms
::: in the glass house seem to be dying from the bottom upwards,
::: yellowed and withered branches and even the small bunches of
::: flowers are shrivelling up, it looks like they have never been
::: watered but they've had plenty....?
::
:: Are you growing tomatoes in a glass-house where they have been
:: grown for some years previously, and is the crop under plastic the
:: first tomato planting ever there (or the first for some years?)
::
:: There could be a virus or other disease clue here.

Both GH's have not had tomatoes for at least 5 years.

Well that's one possible theory exploded, then.

Just picked my first ripe tomato of the year today
(Stupice variety)

Some plonker next door has spent loadsa money on space heating,
bench heating, incubators, artificial daylight lamps, you name it ,
he's got it.

He did pick some ripe tumbler tomatoes about 3 weeks ago but he's not
far advanced compared with my soil-grown toms in an unheated
glass-house. And he did get his heated benches totally overrun and
colonised by ants which seemed to appreciate the early warmth.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³ -¹