Old 24-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Spider

gavinf wrote in message

Hi,

I just moved into a house with a garden (rented property) recently
after living in a city centre for 10 years. I must admit I haven't got
a single clue what I'm doing. I cut my hedge and now parts of it seem
to be dying. It needs cutting again but I daren't incase more of it
starts dying.

Can someone look at the picture I've attached and perhaps recommend
something I can buy or do to help restore it?

Many thanks
Gavin

|Filename: IMGP0025.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2815|

gavinf

Hi Gavin,

I thought it was a Thuja, but it still won't grow back if you cut into old
wood. There is a fungal disease of coniferous trees called Phytophthera
(sp?) which would create brown patches where growth has died back. Usually,
when I've heard about Phytophthera, it's because a tree is dead, or almost,
so it is easy to get the impression that it is fatal. (It may be!?). Have
a google on Phythophthera and see if this gives you a) an image for
comparison, b) a remedial course of action. A disease like this would
certainly relieve you of blame/guilt.

On the other hand, if the dead growth is where you know you've cut back into
old wood, it may help to reduce the height of the hedge. By cutting back
the top-growth, new growth lower down should be stimulated. You'll never
get the dead wood to 'green up' again, but you may get enough new growth to
disguise the damage.

You should still talk to your landlord, of course. Hope it goes well.
Spider