Old 24-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "nambucca" contains these words:

Well theres no sign of rain down here and while last week my garden was

lush and green today its parched desert .......havent had any rain for at
least 5 weeks
Another year like the last 3 with these scorching weeks on dry sandy soil
and i will give up and sell up
Its too heartbreaking for words to see the way the climate has changed my
garden for the worst despite always piling on lashings of compost

Have you read Beth Chatto's book about her gravel garden? She
planted stuff adapted to the conditions and made a virtue of it.

I suspect a lot of UK gardeners are going to make some drastic
changes to what ornamental plants they grow, in coming years. Here,
it's been so wet that springs are coming up where they never did
before, because the volume of water has washed new courses underground
My neighbour got one under his house, which has caused some headaches.
We have one in a corner of the drive and I suspect another in the
middle of a lawn. More bog gardens beckon :-) But that's only an option
for ornamental plants; it's harder to see what veg and fruit will
endure cool cloudy summers with this level of rainfall and
nutrient-leaching.

Janet