Old 24-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Vox Humana

"Popcorn Lover" wrote in message
news:1119638636.e5459ce9e5b159b53f7a228fb5c8dba1@t eranews...
I understand that ivy is great for preventing erosion and has very
deep roots. But will it hurt trees if it climbs them? Or will it
hurt buildings, like if it climbs the wall of a wood shed or house?

Can it be easily started from seeds? That would be the lowest cost
way to go.

I don't think English ivy has deep roots. You really don't need deep roots
to prevent erosion, just a network of roots near the surface. In some
areas, ivy is quite invasive. I can't get it to grow well here in zone 6.
Every winter it tends to die back and/or the deer eat it. Some people claim
that it will harm your house, but I think that is controversial. There are
vines that will work their way under siding and cause damage, but that
hasn't been my experience with ivy. Others will disagree. If you don't
want it to grown on the house, just cut it back a couple time a year and
prevent it from taking hold on your structure. I think that there is some
controversy over whether ivy will damage trees. I don't think so myself.
Others will disagree. When English ivy blooms and produces fruit and seeds,
it starts to decline. Therefore, it is unusual to find ivy seeds. Ivy is
grown from cutting or division. It is quite easy to root. You can take
some cuttings and put them in moist earth and they will root. Therefore, I
doubt anyone would propagate ivy from seed.