Old 25-06-2005, 02:19 AM
halgren

? wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:23:14 -0400 in Rob wrote:

I think the main difference is more perlite. Get some perlite and add
in about 20-25% by volume. That should be about right (and looser than
Promix HP, too, probably).

I've been using a slightly different mix based on a soilless mix
containing some coconut coir. I think it is better than Promix, so far.
Recipe available on request.

Recipe requested.

Off topic, but has anyone tried the various "mud" mixes with african
violets?

OK, here is the recipe as I got it from Dick Wells (Hilltop Orchids).
He said he grows everything (and a wide range of everything, although he
specializes in phalaenopsis) in it. Including cattleyas, paphs, and phrags.

20 parts Scotts Metro Mix with coir (I think it is MetroMix 360)
8 parts seedling bark
6 parts perlite
2 parts charcoal

When I make mine, I leave out the seedling bark (I don't have any, and I
don't like it in peat mixes, anyway). I made up the difference with
charcoal and perlite. So, my mix was (after reducing the fractions)

5 parts MetroMix
2.5 Parts perlite
1.5 parts charcoal

So far it is working well. The real test (around my neck of the woods,
at least) is winter... We shall see.

As to african violets, I don't really see why the mud wouldn't work.
PromixHP or the Hilltop mix. It is really just a soilless mix with a
bit more aeration in it. I've used Promix HP for all my houseplants for
years. I don't grow african violets though.