Old 24-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Reel Mckoi

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
"Reel Mckoi" wrote:

" George" wrote in message

As ugly as it is, I think vinyl/nylon
netting is the cheapest, safest, and easiest way to deal with herons.

$$ The "fine" black netting isn't all that ugly. After while you don't

even
see it anymore.

Boy, that's eye of the beholder stuff.

## This is true to some extent. The nets sold at ACE Hardware are the
least obvious or visible. If we ever decide to get rid of the fish then
we'll remove the nets.

An obvious ugly windmill-like rotating arm would be useless
against all the other fish predators out there.

I think the way it was described though, was that it folded out of the

way,
so you wouldn't have to look at it.

## Then it wouldn't be doing the job it was intended for.

Herons are only one of fish
eaters pond owners have to deal with. Now that we're using hardware

cloth
on the bottom 18" that keep the net above the pond water instead of wire
garden fence we wont have to keep checking for breaches near the ground.

In
my area you either net your pond or it turns into a fishless pond full

of
snapping turtles, bullfrogs, waterbirds and snakes.

It
also keeeps the fall leaves out of your pond. But that's my own

opinion.
Tha end.

$$ YES! YES! No more standing there with the net fishing for leaves and
twigs. :-) I would do that every day throughout the fall before we

netted
the ponds. We often wondered how the twigs got into the pond when the

tree
didn't overhang the water. The wind probably....... we had that tree
removed.

Don't you have to remove the leaves from the top of the netting though? My
skimmer does a pretty effective job of that.

## Yes, once all the leaves are down I use a large net ONE TIME to remove
the leaves.

Damn herons anyway.

## As I said before.... we have more than herons here. We were losing as
many as several fish a week before the nets. My husband and I talked it
over - either get netting or let the wildlife finish off the fish and not
keep fish. We made a decision to keep fish in both ponds so went with the
netting. Our neighbor Bob lost so many fish in his stock pond to what he
said were, raccoons, bullfrogs, snakes and herons he just have up! His pond
is only a few hundred feet from our ponds. It's right near the property
line. He does remove as many snappers as he can because of the
grandchildren. Right now he has about 10 sliders but said he hasn't seen a
snapper recently.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.