Old 24-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Kay

In article , Lorraine_6865
writes

I have recently moved into a new house and inherited a rather large
garden which was over grown, I am about half way through the weeds and
managed to find several small trees, Large & small shrubs and some
plants.

Hanging baskets have been my limit until now so identifying them all is
proving quite difficult, I have purchased several gardening books &
magazines but they only seem to be helpful if you already know which
plant you are dealing with (which of course I don't) I have one which
is currently called "That nice pink shrub on the lefthand side" & "that
lovely purple one at the bottom of the garden"

Does anybody know of a site with plenty of photo's that I may find
useful, I need to know what they all are!

Look out for books by Martyn Rix and Roger Phillips - lots of good
photos, and they arrange things roughly in order of flowering, so if you
see something in there that you recognise as something in flower around
you at the time, then the other flowering bushes you are trying to
identify are likely to be in the same area of the book.

Another good way is to pay frequent visits to a garden centre - you can
see the plants live, and they all have labels. It'll give you a better
identification than you get from a photo.

Remember that plant classification is based on flowers - two things can
have similar leaves and not be in the least bit related, but if what you
are looking at has 5 petals and the picture in the book has 4, they are
very unlikely to be the same thing.

Finally, if you can post photos to a web site or to a newsgroup which
accepts photos (uk.rec.gardening does not - you need a newsgroup
beginning alt.binary or similar) then people on urg are more than happy
to try to identify things.
--
Kay