Old 25-06-2005, 05:33 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"Reel Mckoi" wrote:
## Yes, he left shelves around 3 sides.

The other thing that protects your fish from varmits is plants around
the periphery. It gives the fish places to hide.

============================
That didn't work for us either. Both ponds had and mostly still have mixed
plants around 3 sides plus water lilies. We still lost fish and it was
getting expensive not to mention heart breaking - especially when your
favorite hand tame koi is found half eaten one morning. We also had things
for them to hide in and under in the water. Large pipes etc. They still
vanished. We used snake repellent sulfur around the ponds - a waste of
money, the fish still went missing whole or were found in pieces. We saw
large black snakes crawl right over the repellent. We used the fishing
line, criss crossed everywhere. No dice... frogs and snakes went right
through it and herons learned to hop over and around it and sit on the plant
pots to fish. All it did was slow them down a little. We used fake owls
and snakes. The fish still disappeared. I tried leaving a radio on 24/7
out there .... that was a waste of time. Finally the day my beautiful
yellow transparent butterfly koi, my favorite koi, vanished - my husband got
in the car and went to ACE Hardware for nets. We haven't lost a fish to
preditors since. That was about 5 years ago.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.