Old 25-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Doug Kanter

"Bourne Identity" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:07:54 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Jenny" wrote in message
This year it seems that just about every one of the local nurseries is
selling branded plants that come from maybe three big growers. This is
true of both annuals and perennials.

Emotions aside, can you put yourself in the mindset of a plant retailer,
or
a wholesale grower, and think of any reasons why these "industrial
nurseries" are doing well?

They lose money every year on their garden center departments. We own
stock in Lowes and Home Depot and get the prospectus and annual
reports every year. They detail losses and what departments do well,
etc. It's the free eggs scam. Come buy a dollar plant, walk out with
shovels, fertilizer, pool chemicals, etc.

Victoria

I should've clarified: A was referring to independent garden centers. Lowe's
and HD are such an anomaly in the plant business that they can't even be
included when considering trends.