Old 25-06-2005, 02:17 PM
kurtk

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
The Cook writes:
I use old stockings. I managed to get a bag full last year for about
$1.00. We use 5' cages but some branches manage to escape and if you

I made ties by cutting up the plastic carry-bags that every shop gives
you. Slice a plastic bag into 1"-wide strips to make a lot of soft ties.
Try stretching one of the strips to see how strong they can be. The bags
aren't biodegradable so the strips last a season in the sun.

I have built cages withc concrete reinforcement material. Cages are about
24" x 5' tall. Stake the cages with with rebar and tie wraps. Periodically
put vertical reinforcement skewers as they grew taller. Probably twice per
plant... Built a structure out of schedule 40 and covered with netting and
tie wraps..

The result is healthy plants to 10' for the indeterminates, No birds to peck
and ruin.. We are doing everything we can (freeze, can, dry and cook) to
keep up with them!!!

I also cage my peppers a nd cucumbers.

What a bumper crop.