Old 25-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Salty Thumb

"Warren" wrote in
:

lgb wrote:
If Walmart's lawyers are correctly interpreting the latest finagling
with the copyright laws, the laws need to be changed. I'll write my
senator and representative and send a copy to Walmart's headquarters,
but I doubt it'll do any good.

I doubt that Wal-Mart's lawyers had anything to do with it. It was
probably just some low-level employee excercising some (lack of)
knowledge, or (mis-)applying some policy on something that they
thought was similar to what you were asking.

Actually it's a corporate policy and not only Wal-mart. Employees are told
there are certain characteristics that distinguish professional and amateur
photography. If your photo looks too professional, the finisher/clerk
could choose not to duplicate/release it. It gets more press these days
because of digital photography. I'm guessing presenting a digital copy for
duplication won't make a lot of difference.

I'd be interested in hearing if others ran into this problem and how
they solved it.

Two solutions come to mind:

1. Go to another store.
2. Get a scanner, scan the pictures, and get the digital picture
files
printed.

I got my copies by signing a form saying I claimed the rights and
holding Walmart blameless if anyone sued us. I think I'm safe :-).

I'm surprised that such a disclaimer isn't already part of the fine
print on the order form or claim check -- which is another reason why
some low-level yahoo behind the counter shouldn't even have to care
about what pictures you're trying to copy.

It really doesn't matter who's right, or what the law actually says. I
don't think you have a copyright issue, or any kind of legal issue at
all. I think you've got someone with power and control issues down at
your local Wal-Mart. And the easiest way to win isn't to go at them
head-on. It's to just go around them, and cut them out of the picture
(pardon the pun).