Old 25-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Dwayne

A cold hardy pear tree comes to mind. In my limited experience with them, I
have only seen a couple of pears with holes in them made by insects, and I
have never seen them damaged by peach tree borers. I spray all my fruit
trees in the early spring with a dormant spray, and get some lures for the
flying insects. Get some that are resistant to cedar blight, cedar rust,
etc. and buy from a reputable source (I use Raintree in WA -
www.raintreenursery.com).
Dwayne

"cricket" wrote in message
I dont have a yard now but am trying to help daughter. We live in lower
midwest-about 40 miles east of st louis. we have good soil but
temperature
drops can be extreme. I remember doing fruit trees myself. Many days in
summer
of 90-100 % humidity brought all kinds of diseases to my peach trees. I
have
heard that sour cherry trees dont require spraying & did get one to grow
about 3
years when it too died. What are the best fruits for this kind of
environment
with little or no spraying required?