Old 25-06-2005, 09:06 PM
DrLith

cricket wrote:
I dont have a yard now but am trying to help daughter. We live in lower
midwest-about 40 miles east of st louis. we have good soil but temperature
drops can be extreme. I remember doing fruit trees myself. Many days in summer
of 90-100 % humidity brought all kinds of diseases to my peach trees. I have
heard that sour cherry trees dont require spraying & did get one to grow about 3
years when it too died. What are the best fruits for this kind of environment
with little or no spraying required?

If your daughter is willing to think outside the box a little, you might
consider a few paw-paws, which are native to your region. (You need at
least two trees to ensure polination). They may be a little tricky to
find, commercially--here's one list of growers:
http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/pawpaw/nurslst.htm

It's got few insect pests; your main worry is getting the fruit before
the possums and raccoons do. The Kentucky State site above has a good
recipe list.