Old 25-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Wilmdale

Courageous wrote:

Probably I shouldn;t have done it and may be very sorry, but----
This morning I went out and bought six water hyacinth. They will add some
shade and reduce the oxygen and maybe, just maybe, I will be free of all
that algae.

During the day, the water hyacinth will add, not reduce, oxygen to your
pond. At night, they may use it up, particularly if your pond is over
populated with it. One way to ameliorate this would be to make sure that
the water is properly circulated at night. Bottom to top, destratified
somehow, perhaps run through a waterfall if that's not too noisy.

If your pond is small, you won't have a problem with the WH, as long as
you cull them once in when. Actually, this is good, because the WH will
concentrate wastes in a form you can easily access. Toss it in your
compost heap.

If your pond is a large natural one, you may be very, very sorry.

Here's what can happen:

http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/photos/eiccr04.jpg

C//

Let's see, $10.00 - $15.00 per bunch of 17 plants, (plus S&H of course),
aannnnd looks like there are about, oh, I dunno, let me guess, 46,080
plants, divided by say 17 gives us 2711 "bunches" of WH at on the
average of, say, $13.00 per bunch, will gross you about $35,243.00 IF
you can sell them all to us living in zones 1 through 6 cause all ours
get killed off by the in the winter usually by the end of October or mid
November. Yep, every year we buy more. :-) .
Anyway, just food for thought... :-P .
Seriously, though, I know that it is even illegal to ship WH to some
states because that very thing happens. I our ponds though, I would
LOVE to be able to compost because they were doing so well! The few I
purchased this year are multiplying but I noticed yesterday they are
starting to get a bit yellowish in color. Maybe due to the hail we have
been getting.

W. Dale