Old 25-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:29:18 +0000, Lorraine_6865
wrote:

I have recently moved into a new house and inherited a rather large
garden which was over grown, I am about half way through the weeds and
managed to find several small trees, Large & small shrubs and some
plants.

Hanging baskets have been my limit until now so identifying them all is
proving quite difficult, I have purchased several gardening books &
magazines but they only seem to be helpful if you already know which
plant you are dealing with (which of course I don't) I have one which
is currently called "That nice pink shrub on the lefthand side" & "that
lovely purple one at the bottom of the garden"

Does anybody know of a site with plenty of photo's that I may find
useful, I need to know what they all are!

Any help will be most appreciated....

Look out for "The Royal Horticultural Society Gardeners' Encyclopedia
of Plants and Flowers" published by Dorling Kindersley (not to be
confused with the RHS A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants, also by DK).
The former has lots of pictures and categorises garden plants by size,
flowering season and flower colour, so if you've got a tall shrub that
has yellow flowers in the spring, you can go to the relevant pages for
possibilities. The A-Z encyclo is an alphabetical list, so you need to
know what the plant is before you can look it up, as you say in your
post. The pictures are the same in both books.

Look for good second-hand copies on the Advanced Book Exchange
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchEntry
and restrict your search to UK booksellers only.

--
Chris