Old 26-06-2005, 04:33 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"Wilmdale" wrote:
The few I purchased this year are multiplying but I noticed yesterday

they
are starting to get a bit yellowish in color. Maybe due to the hail we

have
been getting.

Reel Mckoi" wrote:
They've probably used up most of the nutrients in the water.

I doubt that. Hale means low temperatures and water hyacinths don't
like cold one bit. I kept mine alive in a greenhouse all winter and
they were yellow all winter until it got stinking hot in the greenhouse.
When it got warm they greened up nicely.

OK, mine start to yellow when they run out of nutrients. A heaping Tbs.
Potash per 1000 gallons always greens them up nicely. We get hail here but
it doesn't yellow them, just tears up the leaves. They do best in water
with 10-10-10 fertilizer but then the water greens up as well. I don't use
10-10-10 in my ponds but do in the propagation tanks.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/crtso