Old 26-06-2005, 07:18 AM
Rick

On the subject of Algae

I have two ponds connected one with fish and some Lilly’s the other with
just plants. The upper one with just plants gets globs of algae on the
bottom, on the sides and in the roots of my floaters; the Lilly stems are
totally free of it. The bottom ponds with the fish dose not get any algae
on the bottom or on the sides but the Lilly stems are covered with the
stuff. The rocks at both my waterfalls have a layer of algae on them. The
globs are easy to get out and I like the time that I spend doing it. It’s
nice to piddle around at the pond. I spend at least an hour at the pond
doing al kinds of stuff. Also noted that the one with fish has no snails in
it but the upper one has. Question:

Do goldfish or Koi eat snails?

Should I brush the algae of the rocks on waterfall? When I do a lot of it
washes into the pond. Dose this spread the algae?

It is tempting to full the algae of the roots of the floaters and other
plans, is this good or am I doing more harm the good. Is it OK for them to
be covered with it?

PS: I never had an Algae bloom this year, and it's not a big problem. My
water is (still) clear.