Old 29-10-2002, 05:55 AM
Alan Gould

Default Ivy covered tree

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
These are in semi-light amongst a group of well developed and very tall
blackthorns. When I cleared away some of the blackthorns, the ivy
receded and gave way to a variety of other self-set plants, but it
remains as vigorous as ever under the blackthorns.

The surprising thing was that your ivy is producing flowers and seeds
at ground-cover level and in shade.

They are not doing that at the present moment, the flowers appear in
summer and they remain on the plants for quite a long time. Some of the
ivy has been there for many years, but flowering also happens on newer
growth. I can't be certain if it happens on first year growth though.
The ivy is self-set, i.e. it is natural or 'wild' ivy, possibly that may
have some bearing on it.

We have some varieties of variegated ivy growing in our conservatory and
polytunnel. They are very prolific and they propagate easily from
cuttings, but I've never seen them flower. We've found that they don't
do very well at all outside, whether in light or shade - maybe they are
more tender than the natural ivies?
--
Alan & Joan Gould, North Lincs.