Old 26-06-2005, 02:21 PM

Default [IBC] Variegated Plants

In a message dated 6/26/05 12:13:37 AM, writes:
Anybody tried bonsai with variegated plants?

Before you get to the culture part, consider the taste part. Some variegated
plants may work as bonsai, others will look ungepatchked (over-busy). The
variegated Portulacaria might make a good bonsai. I find the plain green one a
trifle boring.
You are right in that it might be culturally a little more difficult. The
green part of the plant has to support the white part, just as if it were
supporting a crop of flowers or fruit. However, I know of no reason not to give it
plenty of sun. Follow the usual rule, as much sun as it will take short of
burning. Get it used to the sun gradually.

I've got a few variegated Portulacaria afra cuttings I got at Home Depot.

That will take a few years to become a bonsai. Putting them in the ground
is a good idea while you work with something more suitable.
Iris

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++