Old 29-10-2002, 09:15 AM
BAC

Default Muntjack Deer

"Paul Mc Cann" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 09:15:28 -0000, "BAC"
wrote:

"DaveDay34" wrote in message
Personally I think it's a bit late for that. The damage has been

done.
snip
you'd
have to get rid of mink, all domestic cats, and all rabbits.

Somehow I
can't
see people supporting the sorts of measures that would be needed, or

even
understanding what you'd be trying to do, or why.

FWIW

I don't believe it would be possible to get rid of all mink or

domestic
cats, and certainly not all rabbits, it's a lot easier said than done.

I think that's the point I was trying to make. It's not practical, and

even if
you could do it, would you really want to destroy the eco-system we

have
to try
to turn the clock back? A dangerous dream for anyone to have.

No, I personally would not wish to recreate a uniform bronze age habitat
across the UK, even if it were possible. However, nor would I

particularly
like to see what we have now further 'eroded'. It's not a simple choice,
IMO.

On the recemt television programme on Darwin the remark was made that
over 99% of the species that have existed on this planet are now
extinct, or did I hear that right. (No implication that this was a
recent phenomenon)

Something like that. Hardly surprising, considering how long life has
existed on the planet, and how much conditions have changed over that
period. And in the very long run, I expect life in some form or another will
persist on the planet, irrespective of human actions today. That doesn't
mean we can't or shouldn't have preferences about what we would like to see
in our back yard while we are here, though, IMO.