Old 26-06-2005, 10:08 PM
loonyhiker

Questions:
1. Should I lift the plants now, to reset them at ground level? Or should
I leave them in their dug-down "pits" until later in the year? Between
soil subsidence and the mulch layer, the holes to the rhizomes are 3"
deep. When should I dig them? Should I dig out the mushy rhizome now, or
leave it till later?

As long as you wait until after they bloom, it should be safe to move them.
I just moved some of my bearded irises to a new spot. I have done this
before without any harm. Usually the first year after that, the irises don't
do well but after that, they do wonderful.

2. Should I plant them above the ground level, for drainage? Due to the
low rainfall, drought-tolerant plants are more used, in this area. I'm
afraid that raising the irises will make them more vulnerable to drought.

I make sure the rhizomes are just barely under the soil. We have had drought
conditions here in SC and the irises still do well. They are pretty hardy
here.

3. The weakest plant, which has just a tiny leaf that is practically dead,
has a healthy-looking rhizome (only 2" across, but firm). Now that it is
uncovered, it appears to be making new, little fans from a couple of eyes
on the surface. Is this normal? Should I leave this one in place, even if
I move the others?

I have had lots of little babies show up and that is normal. You can even
move the babies when you move the others.

Good luck!

loonyhiker
South Carolina zone 7