Old 26-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 08:27:29 -0700, "Dusty Bleher"
wrote:

Oh yeah, one other point, for "johnoceanusacr": Beware when picking and
eating Jalapenos from plants that are side-by-side. I've seen the "flavor"
vary from 'bell-pepper like' to 4-alarm! So pay attention!

Two things can affect the heat of a chili pepper. One is variety,
there are numerous varieties of jalapenos. There is one, False
Alarm Hybrid, I think, that has no heat. They can vary from mild
all the way up to Craig's Triple Hot, which is supposed to be the
hottest jalapeno. ( I haven't grown it, so I really don't know)

If all the jalapeno plants are of one variety, temperature or
water fluctuations can affect the heat of the fruit. Generally
speaking, if you stress a chili, it will produce hotter fruit.
Hotter temperatures or letting the plant almost wilt before
watering will heat the fruit right up.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"