Old 26-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"Reel Mckoi" wrote:

OK, mine start to yellow when they run out of nutrients. A heaping Tbs.
Potash per 1000 gallons always greens them up nicely. We get hail here

but
it doesn't yellow them, just tears up the leaves. They do best in water
with 10-10-10 fertilizer but then the water greens up as well. I don't

use
10-10-10 in my ponds but do in the propagation tanks.

My propagation tanks just had the water hyacinths and well water.
Nothing else. There were yellow all winter until the water got hot. In
the winter it can get down to 40F and the water hyacinths just sit there
and look sick.

My propagation tanks are in a greenhouse so the water
gets up to about 80F in the spring. When this happens the water
hyacinth start growing and get very green. They stay green in the pond
which isn't fertilized either. It is spring fed and has golden shinner
minnows. However, I have lots of marginal plants and oxygenators to
keep the nutrients in check. No fertilizer.

They're getting their "fertilizer" from somewhere, either from the shiners
or from the well water.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/crtso