Old 26-06-2005, 05:15 PM
kathy

Hi Rick!

Rick wrote

Do goldfish or Koi eat snails?

Yes, koi love a good snail. They will even eat land snails
if you toss them in.

Should I brush the algae of the rocks on waterfall? When I do a lot of it

washes into the pond. Dose this spread the algae?

Yes, it spreads it. Better to wind it around a long handled brush or
child's garden rake and remove it.

It is tempting to full the algae of the roots of the floaters and other

plans, is this good or am I doing more harm the good. Is it OK for
them to
be covered with it?

Basically, ok. Though some fish have been known to get tangled up in
it.

PS: I never had an Algae bloom this year, and it's not a big problem. My water is (still) clear.

One of the reasons is the other forms of algae growing in the pond.
Somebody has to take up the nutrients in the pond and those two types
of algae are doing the job. If you could magically make them disappear
you might have a suspended single cell algae bloom, the type that makes
your water look like green pea soup.

Algae thrives on sun, fresh water, fish waste, fertilized run off,
rotting plants and blown in dirt. In new ponds and spring ponds algae
is always the first thing to start growing.
The best defense against algae is to have lots of plants to compete for
the nutrients, few fish, not overfeeding those fish, some shade and
cleaning up debris.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ Mosquitoes!