Old 28-10-2002, 02:26 PM
Michael Savage

Default High hedge for coastal garden

"cormaic" wrote in message
A contractor colleague has a garden on the western edge of
Anglesey, only 100m from the sea, and needs to plant a high hedge to
screen an undesirable extension that his neighbour is having built.
Whether the extension is undesirable because Barry didn't get the
contract to build it, or whether it's just an eyesore is not revealed.
Anyway, he asked me to suggest a suitable hedging plant, and I
gave the stock answer of 'Escallonia', but, he reckons the hedge needs
to be 2-3m in height, and be up at that height by next summer at the
latest.
So, any suggestions for an evergreen, salt-tolerant,
wind-proof, reasonably tall, low-maintenance hedging plant that is
readily available and capable of being planted by a man more
accustomed to laying sewer pipes than laying hedges would be much
appreciated. :~)

--
cormaic URG faqs/webring - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/
Culcheth Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT borlochshall.co.uk

I have been very impressed with Griselinia here in N. Ireland. Going by the
ones we had in the last garden, if you start with vigorous young plants,
make sure the soil isn't compacted to a good depth and give a dose of feed I
reckon you could get up to about 1.5m in a year, and it's reasonably easy to
keep to size. I've seen it growing right by the shore facing SW so must have
been taking some wind/salt.

Michael S