Old 26-06-2005, 07:16 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Jo" wrote in message
My olive tree which has been thriving since last year has suddenly started
dropping all its leaves. Could I have over-watered it?

Could you have underwatered it?
Have you fed it enough?

I assume it is in a pot?

My olive seems to be thriving at the moment - looks as though it is about to
flower in a big way - so I don't think your should be dropping a lot of
leaves at the moment.

One thing I do with pot trees and shrubs - especially my fig - is to leave a
few weeds in the pot along with the tree.

The health of the weeds is a much quicker and clearer indication of
conditions in the pot than the apparent health of the tree.
The tree is generally very slow to react, but when it shows signs of
distress then it is very unhappy.

If the weeds are wilting, dying and going brown , the pot is too dry.

If the weeds are very pale green then there is not enough food.

If the weeds seem to be thriving I clear most out but leave a few as
indicators of conditions.

You could equally use a small bedding plant as an indicator if you want
something more decorative :-)

HTH
Dave R