Old 26-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 26/6/05 17:39, in article
, "Steve -
www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 26/6/05 15:55, in article
, "Steve -
www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" wrote:

We laid a new law about 2 months ago and we have had a few patches of
dead
grass. The patches have a very strong ammonia smell, so strong that
when
you
put your nose near the grass it almost blows your head off..

snip

Turf or seed? If the former, talk to the people you got it from; if the
latter, either it's an animal or an unpleasant neighbour with a water
pistol!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I checked with the turf guys, no problem there. So time to put a camera
out
the back I think and see if an anamal is responsable. I can't see it
being a
neighbour as we all get on very well.

I did chat with one neighbour today and he said he has been getting a fox
in
his front garden but we cant see it climbing 6ft walls and there are no
gaps
to get through.

Not intending any rudeness to the turf suppliers but are you - can you
be -
100% sure that the turf was not contaminated in some way before it came to
you? They may not even have known about it themselves but I do think
that's a line worth checking further. Do you know anyone else they
supplied
recently? Of course, the only thing about that is that I would imagine
(really don't know) that ammonia 'treated' turf would have caused trouble
very quickly and that the smell would have been noticeable as it was laid.
Some kind of night camera is a good idea. But surely an animal with pee
that
strong must be in terrible trouble, health wise?
Would tom cats spraying do that kind of damage?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I know the turf is not a problem as the soil for a good few inches has the
strong smell as well so its not come off the turf and contaminated the soil.
The smell is far to powerfull even 6" down

I would suspect that I would have smelt the ammonia on the turf when it
arrived, the smell is that bad.

I have two low light cameras on the front of the house I will move one and
watch out for the critter responsible.

Thanks
Steve