Old 27-06-2005, 01:49 AM
Reel Mckoi

wrote in message
oups.com...

Well, today we noticed one of the comets hanging out at the top of the
pond gulping air and being a little listless. Another downside of the
algae bloom, it's hard to see what's going on. We scooped him out and
took a look, and the poor little guy is pretty messed up. One of his
front fins is almost gone, he's got a worm hanging off his back, and a
nice fuzzy patch of fungus on one side. I can't tell if there's an
ulcer under the fugus, or if it's just fugus...

## It sounds like your pond is in need of help... the worm on his back is
probably an anchor worm. They're contagious. Dimilin will get rid of them.
KoiZyme will seriously help prevent ulcers. Fungus as well? I think you
need to do some water changes and perhaps remove some of your fish.

So, he's in a hospital tank full of our pond water.

## I don't think you're pondwater is too healthy. You may want to do water
changes on this hospital tank as well.

I've been testing
the water somewhat obsessively and it seems fine. Ammonia is 0,
Nitrates are around 2 and Nitrites are 0.25. We put in some medecines
for fin rot, external parasites, fugal infections, I don't know how
much that stuff helps but I figure it's worth a shot.

How likely is it that any of this stuff will catch onto the other fish?

## Very likely. There are other things that dissolve in pond water over
time besides Nitrates etc. How large is your pond and how many fish are in
it. What is the PH?

They are both fine so far, the new guy that's only been in there a
couple of days (possibly the carrier?) has no signs of anything. I'll
obviously keep a close eye on them, but should I expect them to be
next?

## Please look into quarantining all new fish. Better that than exposing
your resident fish to disease and parasites.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/crtso