Old 26-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Sacha

On 26/6/05 21:58, in article ,
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
On 26/6/05 17:11, in article
,
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote:

snip
the gun is optional, but if you wish to be
accepted in polite society, they should be a pair, and by a good
gunmaker.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/temp/game.html

I'm told even over and unders are acceptable nowadays, though I find that
hard to credit!

Much favoured, too. The original (flintlock) doubles were
over-and-under, side-by-side found favour because, IIRC, it was cheaper
to make.

Many of the Guns use 20-bore O-&-Us - even the posher ones.

I'll take your word for it - I'm certainly not up to date! Many years ago
(at least 20) when my ex-husband shot with matched Purdeys, over and unders
were literally shudder-making to the cognoscenti who I remember as being
very snooty about such guns. Now, my memory fails me, but is there
something about O&Us being more accurate, or am I imagining that? I know
they were popular for clay shooting.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk