Old 27-06-2005, 07:17 AM
Sacha

On 27/6/05 0:11, in article ,
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

O&Us

Much favoured, too. The original (flintlock) doubles were
over-and-under, side-by-side found favour because, IIRC, it was cheaper
to make.

Many of the Guns use 20-bore O-&-Us - even the posher ones.

I'll take your word for it - I'm certainly not up to date! Many years ago
(at least 20) when my ex-husband shot with matched Purdeys, over and unders
were literally shudder-making to the cognoscenti who I remember as being
very snooty about such guns.

might I be so bold as to suggest that by 'cognoiscenti' he meant
'wealthy'? Those who weren't up with the history of gunmaking...

I really don't know how wealthy they were and don't now remember any names -
I do know that this was a shoot in Hampshire to which he was invited
occasionally (he didn't shoot all that often) and that the idea of a O&U was
apparently a serious 'no no'.

Now, my memory fails me, but is there
something about O&Us being more accurate, or am I imagining that?

They're lighter, so can be brought to the target more quickly, and being
lighter, the kick is heavier, leading to the (mistaken) belief that they
are harder-hitting.

I know
they were popular for clay shooting.

They still are - you seldom see a side-by-side in serious competition
these days.

Where can you get clay traps for 'home use'?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk