Old 27-06-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Feeding plants with herbs

peter wrote:
Hi all,

I'm curious to hear what herbs others have used for feeding thier gardens.
I've found out heaps about Comfrey and it sounds real easy to grow, harvest
and use. It also reads as being a very valuable food source for plants,
especially flowering plants.
I have heard of nettles being used but have not found much with google yet.
I've heard that Yarrow is very helpful too, as an activator and maybe
feeding too, still to finish that google.
I would especially like to hear from anyone who has heard of Valerian as a
useful herb in the garden. I have heard it is a very good companion plant.

So, just wondering what others have experienced or heard.

Cheers and thanks

Peter

Carefull with the Comfrey as it can be invasive, but isn't real hard to
control. I have it in the garden as it blooms from late May through
September (if you keep whacking it back) and the bumblebees love it.
I let the cuttings dry out a bit and then run them through a grinder
and use it for mulch around tomato plants. I think in the UK they
till it under and plant on top of it???

Never tried making tea from it, forget what other uses it has.