Old 27-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Niall Smyth

Hi all

thanks for the tips

answers to a couple of questions posed back

The leaves are brown and crispy - not suitable for spag bol!
The trunk is solid and seems okay
I didnt remember to tease it out - probably the solution?

Will rest it in the shade - in my inexperience
I have been thinking that the sun would revive it

Regards

niall

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Niall Smyth" wrote in message
news
hi all

I have a standard bay in a container and it
was severely potbound (even when supplied!)

I have repotted and the leaves are still dry as a bone

My neightbour told me its practically inpossible to kill a bay!?

the dry foliage is just sitting there
would I prune to enduce new growth
any thoughts

tia
niall

When you say 'dry foliage' do you mean that the leaves are dried suitable
for culinary use?

If so, it is in serious trouble, but possibly not dead.

The leaves should be a nice glosy green.

I had one like this, and it was to all intents and purposes dormant for
about 2 years.

The stem was still green, there were minute signs of buds, but no growth.

I kept it in the shade (less stress) and watered it when I remembered.

It has now recovered, with new growth from below the soil but nothing from
the main stem, which has slowly died back over the two years. Now cut

back.

I did kill another one in a much smaller pot by severely underwatering.

My suggestion would be to put the pot in amongst other vegetation - shrubs
etc. - where it is out of direct sun and the surrounding plants provide
shelter and raise the humidity.

This should be a low stress location.

Keep it watered, and hope for the best.

Don't give up too soon - they can be dormant for a long while but as long

as
the stem is green there is still some life there.

HTH
Dave R