Old 27-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Daniel

Thanks for your information.

Dan
"David Ross" wrote in message
Daniel wrote:

Hi,
I once in a while read in gardening books that certain plants should

have
"course builder's sand" mixed into the potting soil. Does anyone know

what
it is, and where to buy it. I have looked at places like Home Dept and
Lowes with no luck. Is such stuff found in building supply stores?

I use washed plaster sand. No, you don't wash it. The "washed"
refers to part of the processing, when mud, silt, and other debris
are removed. Plaster sand is used in making stucco, which gives
you some idea of its coarseness.

I see washed plaster sand in sacks at various nurseries, hardware
stores, and lumber yards. However, that is an expensive way to buy
it. I take a 5 gallon pail (about 2/3 of a cubic foot) to a nearby
building supply yard. For $1, they let me fill the pail myself.

A 50-50 mix of washed plaster sand and peat moss makes an excellent
potting mix, but it needs nutrients added to it. See my
URL:http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html for
details.

--

David E. Ross