Old 29-10-2002, 06:56 PM
Rod

Default Attire of a Gardener in 1935!

"Colin" wrote in message
om...
A strange, unusual request I know, but ...

I am attending a 'Murder Mystery Suspense' event on Saturday and just
found out I must dress the part and for the period, as a gardener, to
a Lord and Lady of a Manor in the year 1935.

Cloth cap, pipe and carrying a watering can? My imagination does not
stretch very far! I tried a costume hire shop but they had not much
idea. Any ideas of what I might wear (and how easily I might get hold
of it quickly) would be much appreciated.

If you could find somebody with a copy of one of the early editions of RHS
Vegetable garden displayed - the demonstrator in that is kitted out in just
post-war manner so probably not a lot different from 1935. The tie would
only be worn for photos unless you were the head gardener. Trousers are worn
tied with string just above the ankles.
You need more than a few days to aquire the weather beaten face and hard
callused hands.

Rod