Old 27-06-2005, 05:50 PM

## It's odd that you have no ammonia after only 2 weeks. Your pond cycled
unusually fast??!?!?!!?!

Honestly I have no idea what's going on with the pond. It's been filled
with water for 2 weeks, 3 days and had fish/plants for 2 weeks, 1 day.
I've been testing ammonia and nitrites daily for the past 8 days and I
haven't seen a single drop of ammonia. After the fish death last week I
added some starter bacteria, for what it's worth, supposedly it was
good stuff guaranteed to be alive kept refridgerated during shipping,
etc. Maybe that has kept the ammonia at bay?

Meanwhile algae has grown like crazy, and my plants look like crap. I'm
going to take the iris' out tonight and add fertilizer pellets, because
they look like they're about to give up. The water hyacinth are brown
and ugly and doses of potash haven't helped at all. The anacharis are
growing like crazy however.

## Were these feeder fish? I suppose they weren't quarantined before you
added them to the little pond. After bringing in all kinds of parasites in
the past I quarantine EVERYTHING I purchase now - for at least 21 days!
Even the cleanest Aquarium stores can have infested fish. I learned that
the hard way. :-(

No, I didn't quarantine, I figured they were all new so why bother? Of
course now I see that it would be easier to disinfect the little tank
than the big pond... I wonder if the lily I mail ordered came with some
parasites... It had some worms on it, but they fell off when I soaked
it and died after 30 minutes in the water. Maybe there were some other
buggies on there...

## Advice will vary but I would do a partial water change and remove the
remaining fish for treatment. I now go by the rule "If one fish has a
disease - they all have the disease."

Ok, I bought some dimlin to kill the anchor worms. We'll keep an eye on
the fish and hope they don't catch anything, if they do we'll do an
immediate treatment. I'm tempted to salt the pond, but I'd have to take
all the plants out. Not sure how much damage that would do to my
nitrogen cycling. Plus we're having a big outdoor party this weekend
and I'd like the pond to look somewhat presentable (I already have my
algae is a natural part of the balancing ecosystem speech down).