Old 28-06-2005, 02:40 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

On 26 Jun 2005 14:54:07 -0700, "john"
wrote:

My apologies if I'm telling you something you already know, but I
thought it would be easier to try and explain all at once.

No, I don't know about seeds from hybrids.

Most commonly, hybrid plants are crosses from two or more parent
plants of different varieties. Seeds from hybrids can be like
either of the parent plants, or they can be like the hybrid.
Remember in biology class when you did the Punnett square?

http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/Genetics/BasGen.html

This is a page with dog genetics, but if you scroll down, there
are Punnett Squares for people like me, who's high school biology
classes were more years ago than I care to mention.

If one jalapeno had genes for heat HH, and the one they crossed
it with had genes for mild hh, the hybrid would have Hh. If you
crossed the Hh plants with another Hh plant, the seeds would be
25% HH, 25% hh, and 50% HH. *If*, and please note that's an if,
not a "fer sure", the peppers you saved seeds from were hybrids,
the seeds you planted may not produce peppers just like the ones
in the store., they may produce plants like a parent.

That's not necessarily bad, you'll still have jalapenos, they
might be hotter or milder, or have larger or smaller pods than
what you remember the ones from the grocery store being.

Good luck,

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"