Old 28-06-2005, 04:35 AM
Stephen Henning

"Daniel" dcxdan AT yahoo DOT com wrote:

I once in a while read in gardening books that certain plants should have
"course builder's sand" mixed into the potting soil. Does anyone know what
it is, and where to buy it. I have looked at places like Home Dept and
Lowes with no luck. Is such stuff found in building supply stores?

You can use:

1) sharp sand, course sand, paver jointing sand (for between pavers),
gardening sand, horticultural sand, river sand, course builders sand are
very similar. They are course enough that water can drain through them
and air can get in. Quickrete Patio Paver Jointing Sand or Quickrete
All-Purpose Sand for example.

You shouldn't use:

2) play sand, paver base sand (bedding for under pavers, not plants).
It is very fine and doesn't drain and doesn't aerate properly.
Quickrete Premium Play Sand or Quickrete Patio Paver Base Sand for
example.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman