Old 28-06-2005, 11:50 PM
Craig Cowing

On Jun 28, 2005, at 6:40 PM, Jim Lewis wrote:

GK wrote:
I was at a garden supply store the other day and asked if there were
any "bonsai clubs" in the area. I was told no, not to their
knowledge, although they gave me names of other garden centers that
might have information.
However, I was also told, "The problem with bonsais is, a bonsai is a
plant. And plants like to grow, and do not like small pots."
So, it sounded like there was something inherently wrong in keeping a
bonsai.
I have one bonsai currently. A Fukien Tea.

That's not allowed.

You _must_ have more than one! It's the law!

That nursery seems like a great candidate for the bonsiests' favorite
trick: Go in, buy big, 6-foot tree with great base, pay for it. Pull
out Felco clippers, chop off top 5 feet. Leave with base in pot.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - People, when
Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts and
berries. And I'm right here to tell you (that) the berries are just
about all gone. -- Uncle Dave Macon, musician

I think that's an excellent idea. Be sure the owner is watching. Leave
a little more than a foot--maybe 2 ft.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a sunset 37